Saturday, August 14, 2010

Toy Story 3 - A MUST SEE!




Toy Story 3 * * * * * (5 stars)

Director – Lee Unkrich

Starring (Voice Actors) – Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack and Michal Keaton

MPAA – G

Pixar is a company that astounds me. Every film they have made is absolutely amazing excepting “Cars” which was fun but not groundbreaking. The idea of a third “Toy Story “really had me worried. I was not to keen on the idea of another sequel because the market has been so bad these last couple of years. Originality is so hard to find at the cinemas and the vast majority of sequels are so inferior to their predecessors. But I remained optimistic based on the track record of the past 10 Disney/Pixar films (one of them being the hilarious and touching “Toy Story 2”).
Then out came “Toy Story 3” and the buzz from both viewers and reviewers was the same, it was supposed to be the best film of the year. I put off seeing it for too long and when it opened in the discount movie theaters today in 3D I forced my wife to come with me. And even though I had to suffer the indignity 3D glasses (a wholly pointless gimmick might I add) and the previews for infantile films “Toy Story 3” was indeed another notch on Disney/Pixar’s belt of superb movies.



Having just had the absolute pleasure of experiencing the masterpiece that was “Inception”, I was not prepared to be overwhelmed with the beauty of another A+ film in the same week. While being a part of a different genre “Toy Story 3” is almost a dead tie with “Inception” for the best film of 2010 yet. The only thing that might be holding it back from ultimate greatness is that it was not quite as original as “Inception”. “Toy Story 3” still took its characters to infinity and beyond and with it went my imagination.



I say it was not as original because of course this is the third installment in a series; but the plot was still new and exciting. There were a few running gags from the first two Toy Stories, but the plot was a new experience and a new concept. The toys are faced with Andy’s departure for college, and are accidentally donated to a day care instead of being stored in the attic like Andy wanted. But instead of being the same story as the second film – that of stranded toys trekking the city to get back to their owner – the toys are instead faced with the idea of being rejected by their beloved Andy and they must now find a way to fit in with a new crowd. I’ll keep to this vague plot description to avoid giving anything away, but let it be known that the writers made a brilliant script that plays out very well.

“Toy Story 3” did not however out-do Pixar’s last two films “Up” and “Wall-E”. It would be difficult to do anything as incredible as those two films; films that were original, entertaining, and heart-warming. While I would rate both those Disney/Pixar ventures as 9.9s “Toy Story 3” is not far behind with an easy 9.5 out of 10 ten. This movie is as near to perfect as a movie can get. There was nothing to be critical about.



One thing that really surprised me is how well the makers of this film managed to stay away from elements of the earlier movies. There was no return to Al’s Toy Barn, no Zerg (except a blip in the credits reel), no emergence of the Wood’s Roundup. Instead everything was fresh and new. Yes there were a few elements used across all three movies, but those are the fun things that tie the trilogy together.

Not only did “Toy Story 3” stay true to the other films, it also stayed true to the magic of all the Disney/Pixar movies. This is a movie that is clean and appropriate for all ages (although there are quite a few frightening moments). It is also a movie that brought tears to my eyes, both from laughing so hard and from heart-warming and touching moments. My wife leaned over to me while I was sniffling during an ending scene (it was just such a happy moment I couldn’t hold it in) and whispered to me, “Are you crying?” “Of course not,” I retorted haughtily; there was no way I was going to admit tearing up during a G-rated Disney film in the middle of a theater. But here I am now confessing because Toy Story 3 truly was a beautiful film.



My only beef is this whole 3D deal. It is a useless gimmick for scoring more dollars from the movie goers. My experience was not enhanced in any way by going to this film in 3D. I only went because that was the only format available at the theater. SAVE YOUR MONEY! “Toy Story 3” is an outstanding film and doesn’t need the cumbersome label of ‘3D’ to be better. Go see “Toy Story 3” before it is no longer in theaters. If there is one film you have to see this year it is Toy Story 3.

Sex/Nudity - 1 out of 10 – You see a shirtless Ken doll and there is a kiss or two between toys.

Violence/Gore – 2 out of 10 – There are some frightening images and some adventure peril that is a little on the intense end. The kids behind me kept switching from crying to laughing.

Profanity – 1 out of 10 – Please, if this movie offends you then do us all a favor don’t go see movies, don’t read books, stay in your bed with a pillow over your face. There is some name calling along with uses of Darn and Heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment